When the weather sucks, it's easy to brush off working out! It's hard to get your rear in gear when it's 40 degrees and it's raining out. I'm here to tell you though, it's easier than you think! You can get an awesome workout at home with minimal equipment. All you need is an alarm to get that booty out of bed (and be consistent about it!) and some space to move around in.
I'm a big fan of HIIT workouts for several different reasons. For one, you get more bang for your buck. Busy lives call for shorter, more productive workouts-am I right? Also, the effects of this type of workout allows your body to repair itself quicker, which means you are able to burn more fat and calories in the 24 hours AFTER the workout vs after something like a steady paced run. When you are pushing yourself into that anaerobic zone, you are increasing your cardiovascular system, which will help you in other areas (running, biking, swimming, etc). Another bonus-HIIT training stimulates human growth hormone by up to 24 hours after your workout, which slows down the aging process- WHAT?! Yes, please!
As a busy mom, I'm always looking for ways to get in a great workout without taking time away from my family and HIIT workouts are a perfect solution. You don't need equipment, you can do it anywhere, it's effective, you can get creative with your workouts, and heck-your kids can even do it with you! When you are making your weekly workout schedule, squeeze some of these HIIT workouts (listed below) into your schedule when you are low on time!
Basically all you're going to be doing for HIIT workouts are going for maximum effort for a short period of time followed by a recovery period and repeat. I like to go for a certain period of time doing my HIIT workout and follow it up with weights in between and repeat. Also, a good idea would be to download a HIIT timer on your phone to count down time for you (not necessary, but it helps). Here are some of my go-to workouts that you can try too-
- One minute intervals, followed by a 15 second break. High knees, burpees, mountain climbers, jumping squats, skaters. Do 2-3 sets(or more if you're feeling it!).
- Two minute burpee intervals x 4 (30 sec break between each)-this one is KILLER!
- Sprint intervals- 20 second sprint, 10 second walk x 8. Do 2-3 sets
- If you have a step or Bosu- One minute intervals, followed by a 15 second break. Fast taps, alternating knee lifts, ski jumps, squat jumps, plank jacks. Do 2-3 sets.
- Another favorite is finding a hill for hill sprints as interval training! Walk or jog down a hill and sprint up at full effort-repeat 5-6 times (more or less depending on the hill size)
You can see how easy and simple these workouts can be! The key is to have structure in your workout so that you're taking the same amount of recovery in between your intervals and attempting to give the same amount of effort every time. Consistency is where it's all ya'll- in each workout and how often you are doing them. I promise if you make the time and effort for these workouts a few times a week, you will see BIG changes! Don't forget to add that strength training in there as well. The combination of the two will have you looking and feeling like a rock star in no time:)!
"Wake up. Work out. Look hot. Kick ass"
Until next time,